Ingredients for Phyllo Pastry
– 2 cups self rising flour ( if using maida add 1 tsp baking powder and pinch of salt )
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 65 ml olive oil
– 65 ml warm milk
– 75 g yogurt ( 75 ml cold milk plus 1tbs white vinegar )
– 1 egg
– 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
– 1 tsp baking powder
– cornflour, to dust
– 75 g unsalted butter, to brush
Ingredients for Filling
– 150g walnut, roasted, finely chopped
– 150g chironji, roasted, finely chopped
-150g cashew, roasted, finely chopped
– 1 tbsp honey ( optional )
Ingredients for syrup
– 1 cup caster sugar
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 190C and grease baking pan with butter
– To make filling, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
– combine oil, milk, yoghurt,egg and vinegar in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
– Add sifted flour and baking powder and mix until a dough forms.
– Gently knead into a ball. Place dough in a bowl, cover with cling fling wrap and set aside for 30 min.
-Divide dough into 12 portions and dust with cornflour. Cover with tea towel to prevent them from drying out
– Dust work surface with cornflour. Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball
– Layer four of the pastry sheet on top of each other brushing butter in-between
– Spread filling mixture
– Repeat layering four of the pastry sheet on top of each other brushing butter in-between
– Spread with remaining filling and finish with remaining four-layered pastry sheet
– Cut into 12 diamond shapes (desired shape) and pour over remaining butter.
– Bake for 45 minutes, then set aside to cool completely.
– To make sugar syrup, stir sugar and 1 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in lemon juice. Place slice tin onto an oven try and pour over hot syrup.
– Set aside for 4 hours or overnight.
Slice baklava and place on serving plates. Garnish with dry fruits