Today marks the birth anniversary of the gem of an icon, Irrfan Khan. He genuinely was the best of the best to come out of Bollywood. His performance and work within the world of cinema has struck and emotional chord with lots of people who admire him to this day and call him an icon.
On his special day, we bring you some information about what made Irrfan Khan so legendary:
1. He hailed from a town called Tonk from the state of Rajasthan. He began his journey towards pursuing his dreams by getting a scholarship at the National School of Drama.
— kelly kislaya (@kellykislayaTOI) October 27, 2015
2. Irrfan is also one of the outsiders from Bollywood who began his career by being associated with the Television industry formerly. He was a prominent face in shows like ‘Chandrakanta’ and ‘Chanakya’.
— Film History Pics (@FilmHistoryPic) April 29, 2020
3. Oscar-nominated film by Mira Nair ‘Salaam Bombay!’, was the first official film Irrfan Khan debut with, in Bollywood. Unfortunately, his scene had been edited out of the film in the final cut.
— Kanhiya Thakur (@KanhiyaThakur19) April 29, 2020
4. Before impacting Bollywood, he had already garnered global praise due to his performance in the film ‘Warrior’ that was helmed by Asif Kapadia. He was soon acclaimed nationwide as well through the 2005 film ‘Rog’.
Rewatched The Warrior last night. @asifkapadia's excellent film starring Irrfan Khan (RIP). It's free to watch on certain streaming sites at the moment. It's a brilliant chase film, all about regret and honour.
The whole film rests in this man's eyes. pic.twitter.com/rxG6LqQzvH
— Nikesh Shukla (@nikeshshukla) May 1, 2020
5. It has also been reported that the actor rejected many Hollywood roles as he wanted to do more projects in the Indian film industry.
— Aniq ⎊ (@aniqrahman) April 29, 2020
In 2020, Irrfan lost his life after a long battle with neuroendocrine tumour. On 29 April 2020, he passed away after contracting a colon infection. However, the work he has done continues to affect all of his avid fans. May his soul rest in peace.